Anger Relief

March 10, 2001


    It has been about a month since I have been on the island. I have finally finished the building the cabin and I am working on the furniture. Every morning, I go to a freezing cold soaking pond to relax. Edwin brought me to this peaceful place the morning after I got here. The first couple of times I got in the pond, it was so cold, my body was numb. After awhile, I got used to it and now it does not bother me. When I soak in the pond, I feel a sense of calmness and tranquility. This process slows sown my brain and is a good beginning to the day.
    In addition to my routine, I also carry a really heavy rock called the ancestor rock up a big hill. The travel up the hill is the remembrance of my ancestors and my past. When I get to top of the hill, I take a deep breath and roll it back down. The minute it rolls down, my anger is gone and rolling with it. The only feeling I have left inside of me is, peace.
    Also, every night Edwin, Garvey, and I do what is called an anger dance. We take whatever animal we see that day, and make it into a dance. After the dance, we explain the lesson we learned from it. In the morning, I carve a part of my totem pole I have created. I either draw an animal or a symbol from the dance I did the night before. It is a very important aspect to my experience on this island.

No comments:

Post a Comment