Nothing Left

September 24, 2000

    I don't know where to begin to tell you what happened first on my worst, yet short experience on the island. For starters, I tried to escape the island by swimming, but sure enough, the time I decided to go, was not a very good time. It was tide time. No matter how hard I swam, I was not going anywhere. All I remember, is waking up in a bed of warm ashes, the ashes of the cabin that Edwin built for me and I burnt down. Those ashes, about saved my life from Hypothermia.
    A day or two later, with disbelief in my eyes, I saw the Spirit Bear. His eyes met mine, but he didn't move. Angry that he was not scared of me, and did not run away, I charged. As you can guess, he won the fight and left me hanging with broken limbs, ribs and opened flesh. I was immobilized and could not move. Not long after the mauling, did the birds and mosquitoes decide to pick away at my body for their own convenience. 
    While laying there, on the cold, hard ground, I noticed a bird nest that had fallen out of a tree during a thunderstorm. I had seen this bird nest before with baby birds in it. I had hated seeing those things depending on their mother for food and chirping loudly. When I looked again at the destroyed, bare nest, they were no longer making noise. I for once, felt bad for them, I had whispered into the emptyness to their dead little bodies, "Are your okay?" 

No comments:

Post a Comment